September 26th is National Family Day. Whether they are family by blood or by choosing, family is that group of people that gives you endless support and love (and sometimes drives you a little nuts). Take time today to surround yourself with those that you call family and let them know that you appreciate all they do for you!
National Family Day is also just in time for the first week of fall! Fall is the perfect season to make fun memories with family. The leaves are about to change and that crisp Autumn air is rolling in. It's the time of year where you go apple picking, roll in a pile of colorful leaves, and eat pumpkin spice everything. You can almost smell the apple cider donuts in the air! And there are so many exciting activities you can do that are fun no matter what age you are! We've put together some ideas to help you create endless fun fall memories with your family.
1. Create a Fall Bucket List
Start off the fall season by creating a fall bucket list with your family! Ask each member what is something they'd love to do. If you're even more organized, make sure that each activity gets put on the calendar. There are so many fun activities to do, you'll have a hard time choosing!
2. When are the leaves changing?
One of the best things about fall is the colorful changing leaves. It's like nature is having one last hurrah before it settles down for a winter nap. If you're planning on going for a drive, hike, or bike ride to enjoy the beautiful fall foliage, there's a way to ensure that you catch the leaves at their prime! Visit this website here: https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/
This website allows you to search for where you live to see when the leaves will be at optimal colorfulness! This is a great tool if you're planning fall family portraits or just want to make sure that you plan your fall activities around the stunning leaves.
3. Have a Family Dinner
Host a family dinner and only make fall themed foods. You can do a search to see what fruits and vegetables are in season on this website: https://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/whats-in-season-fall
Some examples of vegetables that are in season are acorn squash, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and brussels sprouts. There are loads of delicious meals you can plan around the vegetables that are in season.
Plan a cozy fall dinner party with fall decorations, warming comfort foods, and yummy desserts. And there are endless delicious desserts you can make in the fall from pumpkin pie to apple crisp! If you need help finding some yummy recipes, search no further than here: https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/fall-desserts/view-all/
A family dinner is a nice way to spend time with family and create some unforgettable memories. Especially if you ask them to help you cook!
4. Outdoor Activities
Fall is the perfect time to get outdoors. With the gorgeous foliage, perfect mild temperature, and endless fun activities to do, it's the best time of year to spend some time in the great outdoors! Here are some ideas for activities to do with your family this Fall.
- Go on a hike! Once you've figured out when the leaves will be at their peak, visit this website to find a fun hike near you: https://www.alltrails.com/
- If hiking is too slow for you, how about biking? There are plenty of bike trails which you can search through here: https://www.traillink.com/activity/bike-trails/
- Visit an apple orchard or pumpkin patch. Support your local farms by spending a day at their farm, picking apples or pumpkins, buying apple cider, or sampling their delicious baked goods.
- Go on a hayride! Many farms also offer hayrides or even have a fun corn maze to get lost in for a while.
- Rake a pile of leaves and then jump in them! Unleash your inner child.
- Plan a picnic in your backyard or a local park and enjoy the beautiful fall colors
5. Host a bonfire
Plan a cozy bonfire with family and friends. Build a roaring fire, make s'mores, and drink hot cider. Have a jack-o-lantern making competition. Ask everyone to bring their coziest blankets and a treat to share! If it's close to Halloween, you could even have everyone tell a spooky store. Bonfires are a fun way to make fall memories surrounded by everyone you love.
6. Have a Cozy Day in
There are plenty of fall days that are cold and rainy and they make for the perfect cozy days inside. Create your own cozy room with candles, plenty of pillows, and fuzzy slippers. Snuggle up in a blanket fort and drink some warm apple cider or a pumpkin spiced latte. Bring along your favorite books or have a movie marathon. Here's a list of some of the best movies to watch: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/reviews/g844/classic-fall-movies/
You could even spend this time learning how to knit yourself a warm hat to wear this fall or Winter! You can find an easy knitted hat pattern here: https://www.craftsy.com/knitting/article/easy-knit-hat-patterns/
7. Fall Crafting
Rainy fall days are also a good excuse to do some autumnal crafts. And they're also a fun family activity! Here are some fun crafting ideas that you can use to make your house look festive for the fall season!
- Use apples, leaves, acorns, or whatever else you can find on a walk and use these to create stamps! Cut the apples in half and paint them orange and use that to create a picture of pumpkins! And you can use leaves to create leaf prints!
- You can also use any gorgeous leaves, acorns, pinecones, and berries you come across to create your own natural wreath to hang on your front door!
- If you've gone pumpkin picking, instead of carving them, you can paint them! You could even use fun art supplies to decorate them, such as glitter, googly eyes, or pipe cleaners.
- Create a leaf garland using some leaves from your leaf pile once your done jumping in it! (or before, so they don't get crushed)
8. Take Family Portraits
fall is a beautiful time to take some family portraits! Here's a great article with some ideas for creating the ideal fall family portrait: https://www.thedatingdivas.com/50-family-fall-photo-ideas/
- Matching outfits! Really play up the fall flannel look and have the entire family wear their flannels for a cozy, matchy-matchy family portrait
- Hit up the orchard. While you're apple or pumpkin picking, take a moment to take a family picture! Apple orchards are usually beautiful places perfect for photo-taking.
- A corn field is also a great place to get some cute family fall photos.
- Any where near a forest of gorgeous fall colors is ideal for getting some great portrait shots!
Once you have some gorgeous family portraits, here are some ideas for what to do with them! You could create a photo gallery in your home and have the the photos printed and framed. Another idea would be saving them for your annual holiday card! A beautiful way to preserve these memories is by putting them in a locket! Let us put your favorite fall family portrait into one of our lockets for the perfect way to keep fall memories close all year long! We have plenty of beautiful sterling silver photo lockets that could even make for the perfect holiday gift later on in the year. The best part is that we will put your photo into the custom locket necklace for you, taking all the hard work out of buying a photo locket! View our full collection here: https://withyoulockets.com/shop-all